Thursday 28 April 2016

Why I am Learning to code?



I was looking for a suitable image for my post and I found the one on top. Even 10 days ago, I wouldn't understand anything about the code and hence the joke would just make no sense to me. Now i actually know its a do/while loop written in javasrcipt. I've just started to learn programming with the available resource around me at the age of 25. I am not saying, I am too old but I sometimes miss coding in my teen age.

I believed I was destined to study Computer Science until I miserably failed in my Higher Secondary School to achieve good grades in science subjects. I knew no public university would allow me to study Engineering let alone computer Engineering. So I stepped back and opted for a different education. I went to study Business Administration in an University 327km far away from home. I thought I would do great in Marketing or Branding and Advertising. And suddenly in 2013, I got a call form my dad living in UK that I was going to join him in few days. I flew leaving my graduation uncompleted just for a semester.

In 2014, I was living in UK for about a year and was working for Pizza Hut trying to figure out what am I doing in the kitchen cleaning all the stuff. I would be doing at least something better maybe, If I was in Bangladesh. I tried to get into Sales, Advertising and learn digital Marketing. Even I managed to get a job in a tech startup as a customer support guy but probably that might not exactly be me. But while working for FOODit I amazingly realize the power of coding. Suddenly I started gazing at the devs I worked with. They were building cool stuff. I was for a certain period a part of the team who came up with centraldish.

After leaving FoodIt 2 months ago, The 1st thing I wanted to do is learn coding. Not just because coding can make you earn 2 times more than a customer support guy but also it gives you the power to create something great. Something that might solve at least one problem that humanity is facing at this moment. Superheroes only shines on the silver screen but the real superheros are the people who solve silly problems for the average people.

A lot of the creative people who had great ideas in last few decades have succeeded in the tech industry. It's great to establish  a company when you can build a website, app, games or anything digital that works. But the prerequisite is to know how they are build. You can't just hire someone to build something for you because soon they might take it away if you don't treat them well. Your product is only your's when you know how to build and run it weather alone or with someone else. I'd say nothing is riskier than having a nice idea and not knowing how to protect it from failing or being stolen. Also being code literate will pave the way to convey a message to your team the way they want to get directions. I think, just adding HTML, CSS, Javascript> JQuery skills would get you back to the job market and help you stand out.

I had my basic HTML sorted last year with 2 codeacademy courses. But I want to mention the Dash from general assembly was a motivation booster for me. Right now I am doing a short course with Ravensbourne  in London. I am here just to check what are the best practices to teach myself how to code. Soon I'll move onto a new job but before that I want to finish my javascript lessons. The learning curve might me hard from some angle but when you know what you really want to build you'll find a way or another to make it happening.

You'll get there... It's never late to start over.


No comments:

Post a Comment